Monday, May 6, 2013

Almost There

Stephan and Leah welcome baby brother
November 6th, 1978, Samuel Dale was born. Phase One of the waiting was over. But, oh so much work remained before our departure from Omro to Virginia on Thanksgiving Day. How did we do it all? How did I survive surgery, nursing a baby, packing, and travel? There is a phrase that comes to mind from the Old Testament "for he was greatly helped" (2 Chronicles 26:15) I know we were greatly strengthened and  helped in the midst of the chaos.
These photos offer clues. They were taken Thanksgiving Day. We must have spent some time at our dear friends, the McMullins, and a high school friend took Stephan and Leah to play in the snow for a last time before heading for milder climates aboard the M/V Doulos.

Last snow for five years
Travel details have mostly faded. Baby and I flew while Daddy and the other two crammed into an overstuffed Suburban and drove to meet the ship and prepare for my arrival. I spent some time with my parents in Winona Lake, IN, before continuing on to Virginia.
It was not easy getting around the airports alone with a two-week old. People helped me along the way.
And it certainly was no easier for Michael, traveling with two young children, moving all our belongings on board and trying to settle into two small cabins before picking me up at the airport.
Those first days and weeks were difficult.  Would things get better?

5 comments:

  1. Actually, it wasn't the last snow for 5 years...though we might have thought so at the time. Remember, we had snow in Glasgow, Scotland (in which city it rarely snows)...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that dang Baby ! who did he think he was coming into this family I was the Baby and that's how I liked it. Stephan may have prayed for a sister and one time But I do not remember praying for that screaming thing ! :) I got used to him very quickly. and he soon became my very favorite little person, and I guarded him fiercely ! Things that I remember from that travel. I tried to stay very quiet as not to upset Dad. He talked allot to Stephan, I tried to be helpful but I think I got in the way allot. I forgot my favorite stuffed Dog a St. Bernard at the McMullins they had the same one ,different pose. She sent it on when we left and I got it back on the Ship !. I do remember arriving at that ship I thought it was evening or night, but I was scarde and I remember Stephan putting his arm around me and saying "don't worry Leah we will be ok I think this ship wont sink Gods here"
    wow the thins that come back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great memory!
      Thank you for those added details and feelings!

      Delete
  3. and it didn't sink, did it?!

    ReplyDelete